Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:35:21 -0500
From:      Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+k@aldan.algebra.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org,  freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: flash9 checklist

Steve Polyack wrote:
> Juergen Lock wrote:
>>
>> Preliminary checklist for getting flash9 to work in native firefox:
>> (flash10 needs more ports work, I shall post about that seperately on
>> -emulation...)  If you have additions to this please post a followup to
>> this thread, keeping the Cc: (I'm not on -questions...)
>>
>> 1. You need RELENG_7 from at least Mon Oct 20 11:15:57 2008 UTC
>> (the relevant MFC commits are:
>>     http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=183819
>>     http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=184075
>> - a recent HEAD should also work of course.)  There are linprocfs
>> patches
>> for RELENG_6 too (merging the former commit), but the latter commit
>> can't
>> be merged to 6 (and 7.0) since they lack the cpuset bits, so flash9
>> probably won't work on SMP there.  (Although if you have SMP you
>> probably
>> should be running 7 anyway. :)  Oh and if you do have SMP you also
>> need to
>> use the ULE scheduler, the cpuset syscalls are not supported with 4BSD.
>> linprocfs patches for 6:
>>     http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/linprocfs-6.3.patch
>>     http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/linprocfs-6.4.patch
>>
>> 2. Your portstree needs to be from at least Sun Oct 19 17:37:28 2008 UTC
>> (the last www/linux-flashplugin9 commit is:
>>     http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-ports/2008-October/158404.html
>>
>> )
>>
>> 3. Make sure linprocfs is mounted to /compat/linux/proc .
>>
>> 4. Make sure www/nspluginwrapper, www/linux-flashplugin9 and
>> dependencies
>> are installed and up to date(!).  (the default emulators/linux_base-fc4
>> should work, if you want to use a later one don't forget to set
>> compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 in sysctl.conf and
>> OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT
>> to whichever version you use in make.conf.  Note however that on 6, only
>> the default compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2 really works.)
>>
>> 5. If the plugin doesnt show up in firefox' about:plugins, run
>>     nspluginwrapper -i
>> /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>> and restart firefox.
>>
>> 6. And remember there's a security advisory for the current version of
>> flash9,
>>     http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/78f456fd-9c87-11dd-a55e-00163e000016.html
>>
>> (if you use portaudit you need to `make -DDISABLE_VULNERABILITIES ...'
>> to be able to install the port), and fc4 seems to be eol'd too, so you
>> probably want to install something like the noscript firefox extension,
>>     https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722
>> and only allow plugins (and scripts, tho thats a different problem) on
>> sites you trust...
>>
>>  And finally, if you still get crashes after following the above even
>> on pages that are reported to work now (like youtube) you probably want
>> to run `ktrace -di firefox...' and look at the output using linux_kdump
> [...]
So I've done some more testing of this with various linux_base-*
installs.  Youtube and most things (google maps) work with sound just
fine for a few seconds, but after trying to interact or letting them go
for a few minute they begin to rapidly eat up main memory.
npviewer.bin's usage will top out somewhere around 300-450MB before it
core dumps: pid 77684 (npviewer.bin), uid 1042: exited on signal 11
(core dumped).  This is on FreeBSD 7-STABLE i386 (as of Tue Oct 28) with
native Firefox 3.0.3 still.