Skip site navigation (1)Skip section navigation (2)
Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:02:54 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <>
To:        "V.I.Victor" <>
Subject:   Re: Utility to change a byte in a binary file?
Message-ID:  <>
In-Reply-To: <W896404648215141186691117@webmail30>
References:  <W896404648215141186691117@webmail30>

Next in thread | Previous in thread | Raw E-Mail | Index | Archive | Help
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 08:25:17PM +0000, V.I.Victor wrote:

> It sure seems that this should be simple, but my searches have only 
> turned up inter-active hex/disk editors.  I'm probably "asking" wrong.
> I have a large binary file (>700 meg) and I know that there is a 
> single wrong byte.  I also know it's exact location in the file.
> Is there a command-line utility to write a byte at a specified offset 
> into a file? 

You could try 'dd' and manipulate the skip/offset and size arguments.


> _______________________________________________
> mailing list
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to ""

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <>