Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 15:04:04 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@brizzie.org>
To:        "Chris Kay" <chriskay@ideal.net.au>, "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ping Problem

> i am connected to ideal
>
> i just did a nslookup on ns1.telstra.net to show it was working
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" is in my rc.conf
>
> the nameserver is ns1.ideal.net.au
> it work to ping a ip but not host
> it can nslookup a host and return its ip address
>
> but for some reason it wont ping a hostname

OK .... Tel$tra has been known to do the weirdest things with IP
addresses / routing / whatever so I wouldn't take anything they did
too seriously.  If as you suggest everything is working fine on your
W2K gateway & other LAN machines the problem is probably in the
FreeBSD system.

I'm no routing guru, but I've generally been able to muddle through
issues like yours with a bit of messing around. What I'd do next is to
add at least a second nameserver (and more if you know of them) to
rc.conf, and edit your /etc/hosts file so it includes entries for the
nameservers. Actually its probably a good thing to configure hosts
files on all your LAN machines. There is a default one in Windows too
(C:\Windows\hosts.sam). Just be careful to save it with no extension
or it won't be read.

The Microsoft ICS has been known to have its share of  "features" that
provide the odd headache too ... eg I've had no end of problems with
two or more ICS machines on the same LAN