Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:36:12 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does the ep driver work under 3.2-release?

I have just put together a box around an Asus P2B-F motherboard
and installed 3.2-release from the WC CDROMs.  Works fine, but
I'm having no luck with a 3C509-combo ethernet card.  The card
has been working fine in a different box under a different OS,
and is back in that box and still working now, so the problem is
not the card or the cabling.

The relevant part of my dmesg is:

    1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300
    ep0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on ISA
    ep0: aui/utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:60:08:ac:d7:1b

After boot, "ifconfig ep0" gives:

    ep0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	    ether 00:60:08:ac:d7:1b

After "ifconfig ep0 inet 192.168.1.1", it becomes:

    ep0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	    ether 00:60:08:ac:d7:1b

If I try to ping any of the other live machines on my 192.168.1
LAN, I see the expected flashes from the correct lights on the
hubs, but there are no responses reported by ping.  Same deal if
I try to ping from the other boxes into this one.

If anybody is using one of these and knows what I've done wrong,
please let me know.  Alternatively, if anybody knows that the
driver is a dud, that would be helpful to know -- although not
welcome news :-)

If I've left out the really important bit of information, please
yell at me so I can fix that.  And thanks in advance for any
brilliant ideas.

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org>