Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:26:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote,

> On 21-Feb-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote,
> >> On 20-Feb-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:

> > This is good. Do you get any info? Perhaps I should have asked
> > initially, why do you think that yppasswdd is hanging in the
> > first place?
>
> OK, ye know the boot process of starting daemons? rpc.yppasswdd takes far
> too long to my taste, I mean 5-10 minutes? I have to CTRL-C it to continue
> booting.

You've been rebooting everytime? Yee-uck. Once you kill the attempt to
start rpc.yppasswdd, does the booting complete normally? Is ypserv up
and running?

If you want to try to get rpc.yppasswdd running, you can just type
'rpc.yppasswdd <flags>' at the command line as root. No need to reboot
everytime.

> >> So we also need an ll from /var/yp:
> >>
> >> [asmodai@daemon] (29) $ ll
> >> total 43
> >>  1 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  -   512 Feb 20 23:49 ./
> >>  1 drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel  -   512 Dec 30 23:18 ../
> >> 18 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  - 18126 Feb 16 20:23 Makefile
> >> 18 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  - 18126 Feb 15 02:29 Makefile.dist
> >>  2 -rw-------   1 root  wheel  -  1249 Feb 20 13:17 master.passwd
> >>  1 drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  -   512 Feb 20 13:17 ninth-circle/
> >>  2 -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  -  1064 Feb 20 13:17 passwd
> >>  0 -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  -     0 Feb 16 20:41 ypservers
> >>
> >> ypservers is empty since there's only one server,
> >
> > Does the master need to have itself listed in ypservers?
>
> As far as I know/knew not. But as the follow-up mail from John points out:
> it might be needed. Then remains the question how to put it in there. As a
> hostname, a full host+domain name, an IP numeric?

I think any of these would work.

I've been looking at the rpc.yppasswdd sources
(/usr/src/usr.sbin/rpc.yppasswddd) and might have some guesses as to
where it is hanging up.

It might hang when looking for the master server in the
'ypxfr_get_master()' call (note that this function is in
/usr/src/libexec/ypxfr/ypxfr_misc.c... you know how long it took to
find that? :). I wonder if that is the problem since ypservers is
empty and it is not looking in the right place.

The problem I am having is that it is not too clear how NIS identifies
which server is the master server. You are only supposed to run the
Makefile on the master, but there is nothing I have found in it's
comments or code that clearly states how the servers tell each other
apart. Nor have I seen this in the documentation or source code. It
makes me wonder if rpc.yppasswdd is not confused to and is looking for
a master server that it cannot find, thus causing hangs.