Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 2003 18:55:12 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do hackers drive?

Marty Landman wrote:
> Having kids creates enough innate untidiness that w/o my wife and my
> steady efforts the place would be a total disaster in very short order.

Hah!  Living with other people in general seems to cause this situation,
although kids seem to be worse than adults.

Some days I feel like I'm the only garbage collection process in the
house.

> **btw - I've tried a few times to rejoin the freebsd-questions list w/o
> success. Is/was there a problem with that particular list recently?

Don't know about this.

> I know this is off topic for a chat list (I guess) but I'd like to
> install FreeBSD on one of my office network boxes and downloaded the ISO
> from the site -- on my dial up no less -- then burned it onto a cd but
> can't get any of my boxes to boot from it; seems like I messed up
> somehow, maybe didn't burn the cd properly?

Most common mistake I see people making is to burn the ISO _file_ to the
CD instead of burning the ISO _image_ to the CD.

If the CD that won't work has only 1 file on it, then you made this mistake.

This seems to happen because many CD burning softwares over-abstract the
burning process from the user, making it more difficult to understand as
a result.  Also, the "burn ISO image" option is often hidden deep within
complicated menu structures, or is named unintuitively.  The fact that
burning a CD is actually a sequential process (more like writing to a
tape drive than to a hard drive) becomes opaque to the user, and unnecessary
confusion results.

(Now that the axe is nice and sharp, I'll put it away)

If you seem to have made this mistake, look for the "burn CD image" or
similarly named command or option in your burning software and try again.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies