Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 21:47:37 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD hardware Users <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Heat sinks and coolers: grease or pad?

>On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 04:02:26PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
>>> I recently bought an AMD K6/233, and I'm still looking for a cooler
>>> which will keep it cool enough.  Today I got a thing double the size
>>> of the last (well-dimensioned) one, and mounted it.  It look bovine
>>> rc564 3 minutes to overheat the processor.
[...]
>>> I'm wondering what to do next.  Both this cooler (which claims a
>>> thermal resistance of 0.8°C/W) and the previous one have a pad stuck
>>> on to the processor side, presumably in order to facilitate heat
>>> transfer.  What's the best way to use this?  Should I use thermal
>>> grease anyway?  Should I use it instead?  Any other bright ideas?

>> How about a Peltier effect cooler?

>You suggested this already.  Care to implement it?

Are all the peltien effect coolers currently on the market not
sufficient?  Do the ones designed for Pentiums not fit K6 (or Cyrix)
chips?

I'm curious because I've been thinking about picking one up for some
time now...  I'm curious if they work better than a big heat sink and
really good ball-bearing fan.

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.