Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:51:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neil Short <neshort@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   locale woes

I don't know what's up. The usual solutions don't seem
to be working.

if I run aterm, it runs but with:
      aterm: Cannot set locale

tar gives a similar output (although it works):
      tar: Failed to set default locale

so, I installed openoffice (development) and when
running I get:
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"
Segmentation fault

I just upgraded my xorg to the latest 7.2.
I also updated my system to a recent CURRENT.
I have these lines in /etc/login.conf (for the default
profile):

        :charset=ISO-8859-1:\
        :lang=en_US.ISO8859-1:

in the past, when I have had locale problems I just
set lang to en_US and that did the trick. Not this
time.

$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

Any ideas?

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37

http://farechase.yahoo.com/