Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:45:32 -0600
From:      Gary Landers <gary@tein.net>
To:        Dan Boudro <dboudro@nmia.com>
Cc:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>, Stephen Cooper <stephenc@ios.alphawest.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kerbos - ppp - linux - questions

I recently had the same kerberos error, It happens when you install kerberos but
either dont use it or try to remove it. It doent seem to be a problem other than
an error that does nothing. I was informed that the only soultions was make
world or to reinstall from the beginning since I wasnt ready to do that at the
time I decided to tolorate the error.
Gary

Dan Boudro wrote:

> Norman C Rice wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 08:49:36AM +0000, Dan Boudro wrote:
> > > Hello, I'm a freeBSD convert from linux. So far so good, using 2.2.5.
> > > There are a couple of annoyances I thought I'd ask about.
> > >
> > > 1. When I su to root I get the following:
> > >     su -
> > >     su: kerberos: not in root's ACL.
> > >     Password:
> >
> >  Try `su -K'. If it does what you want, alias `su' to `su -K'.
> >
> > > Since I'm not running kerberos I'm confused.  I tried to use kadmin but
> > > couldn't figure it out.
> > >

> > > 2.  my ppp-on script logs me into my ISP just fine but I get this
> > > message:
> > > User Process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
> > > Using interface: tun0
> > > Automatic Dialer mode
> > > Tcp: Can't open socket 3000: No password in ppp.secret
> > > What is socket 3000 used for and how can I get rid of this?
> >
> > man ppp. Add an entry in /etc/ppp/ppp.secret.
> >
> >    MyAuthName MyAuthPasswd
> >
> > > 3.  I miss  Motif.  I have the Motif 2.1 package from RH for RH5.0.
> > > Has anyone had any luck porting this?  Could I just try the rpm package
> > > in the ports collection and install or is it much more complicated that
> > > this.
> > > I'm running LKM but get the message:
> > > ELF binary type not known
> >
> > man brandelf.   brandelf -t Linux filename
> >
> > Be sure you have enabled Linux emulation in /etc/rc.conf.
> >
> >  linux_enable="YES"  # Linux emulation loaded at startup (or NO)
> >
> > > when I try to startx with mwm as the window manager (then X crashes)
> > > I'm using Netscape 4.04 for linux since I've heard about the
> > > problems people have had with 4.05 for FreeBSD and it works fine.
> > >
> > > Thank you for any help.
> > >
> > > Dan

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Norman C. Rice, Jr.
>
> Thanks!  I'm using fvwm2 but I wanted to use my Motif for development
> work.  I don't think that will be possible under freeBSD  until I break down
>
> and buy it.

Gary Landers
TEIN Network