Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:31:39 -0500
From:      "Kelley Reynolds" <schnozzy@verbotenplanet.net>
To:        List - FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Still getting NFS client locking up

--- Original Message ---
From: Matt Smith <matt@xtaz.co.uk>
Sent: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:55:49 +0000
To: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject: Re: Still gettnig NFS client locking up

> Robert Watson wrote:

> >>Me too!!
> >

> > Hmm.  I'm unable to reproduce this so far, and I'm pounding several 5.x
> > NFS clients and servers.  I've been checking out using CVS over NFS,
> > performing dd's of big files, etc.  There must be something more I'm
> > missing in reproducing this.  What network interface cards are you using
> > (client, server)? Are you using DHCP on the client or server?  What
> > commands trigger it -- what part of the NFS namespace, etc?  Are you
> > running the commands as root, or another user?
> >
> > Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> > robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories

I'm also experiencing lockups with NFS, but it's the server that locks up on mine. Both client and server are -CURRENT. Server was fresh as of two days ago, and the client is a week or two old. They are connected via bfe (server) and vr (client). The server, I've found, will last much longer if the mount options on the client include 'tcp' and 'nfsv3' (supposed to be default, but I'm just calling it like it is). Reading files seems to be okay, and I've managed to get as far as compiling a kernel on an NFS-mounted /usr, but a buildworld will hang in < 30 minutes. The server is running dhcp and pf. All commands are being run as root.

Kelley