Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 00:26:07 -0400
From:      tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
To:        "'Mike Smith'" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "'shimon@simon-shapiro.org'" <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>, "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DPT Redux

This is the one thing I neglected to do, unfortunately - I just got the
error name, not the rest of the info.  The situation was a surprise and
had become an emergency at the point it was clear that FreeBSD wasn't
going to reboot.

The kernel file I can certainly supply.

> It's possible that something doesn't like being asked to boot from a
> zero-sized disk.  It's also possible that something else later got
> upset - it's not clear where in the chain of events the panic
> occurred
> (see above).

Actually, it wasn't booting from the "zero-sized" disk.  From my earlier
email, I noted that I have two arrays configured, the first sd0, is the
boot disk and RAID-1 and contains all relevant system directories, the
second sd1, is simply an NFS export partition and is RAID-5.  It was the
second disk (sd1) which showed the "0 MB/1 sector" problem.

> Thanks for the extra info.  Are you able to simulate the
> failure by eg.
> disconnecting one of the 'active' drives?  If you can't do this on a
> regular basis, I believe we are able to arrange temporary access to a
> similar but idle system where this can be simulate.  Simon
> may also be
> able to offer some suggestions inre. possible poor
> interaction between
> the dpt driver and some firmware revisions.

I'm hoping to be able to create a duplicate array to this one for
testing, also.  I'm getting resistance to budgeting additional funds for
DPT/FreeBSD at the moment :(  The machine in question is currently (and
still) a live NFS server.  I'm working on scheduling some downtime for
it in the next few days get a hotswap drive back in there.  I expect
that I'll have to keep it down (1.5hrs) for a complete array rebuild on
the RAID-5 given the interactions I've seen recently.

My instinct is that, assuming someone could setup a RAID-5 array with
HOT SWAP disk, and then yanked a live drive, that they'd see the same
symptoms that I did.  Or, even simpler would be to tell the array to
rebuild, then try to boot FreeBSD...

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.
 http://www.circle.net