Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:49:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Wilson <jmw_ymail@yahoo.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few 5.0-Release questions...

--- Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org> wrote:
> FWIW, I had absolutely no trouble booting and
> installing 5.0-R on my 600SC, with the DELL-supplied
CERC
> RAID card (amr device recognized it, but it drives
4x
> ATA disks rather than SCSI), and an Intel gigabit
> ether card.  Got X11 working on it rather easily
> too.  I don't have any other drives (than the
supplied IDE
> CD) in the box.

The only trouble that I've experienced was with adding
a new video card, an ATI All-In-Wonder VE (Radeon
7500, PCI version).  When the card is not installed,
and I'm using the integrated RageXL video, all works
just great.  However, once a new PCI video card is
installed, I get NMI errors on boot, with a system
hang.

I've tried a few different things to try and resolve
the issue; removing 'options EISA' from the kernel,
and removing 'device agp' from the kernel.  I've
checked the mainboard for jumpers to fully disable the
integrated video; there are none.

Thus far, the only way I can get FreeBSD-5.0 to boot
without incident was to add,
'hw.pci.enable_io_modes=0' to /boot/device.hints.
Once I do that, no more NMI errors.

I just hope and pray this option remains with FreeBSD
for a long time to come so I can continue to use this
ATI AIW card.  X with the integrated RageXL sucks. :p

- John Wilson <jmw74@charter.net>