Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:14:46 -0800
From:      Roop Nanuwa <roop@hqst.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How about them optimizations?

Part of my current /etc/make.conf on my 5.2-CURRENT box looks like:

CPUTYPE= athlon-xp
CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

Now what I'm wondering is if those extras like mmmx msse actually do
anything. The
only reason they're in there is because I saw them on a website about
what people
use to optimize gentoo. I had nothing better to do so I recompiled the
world with
them. I didn't really notice anything good or bad happening after that.
I did have
to mess around with a couple of makefiles to get around the
strict-aliasing problem
that O2 introduces. Besides that, though, are there any advantages or
disadvantages
to compiling with those optimizations and switches?

Does -mfpmath=sse actually do anything relevent for the FreeBSD world? I
know
what the GCC manual says about it but I'd rather hear some real world info.

An enquiring mind wants to know.

--roop