Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:37:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding Static Routes Specifically for fxp1

MGM> 	I am trying to use the second Ethernet port on a FreeBSD
MGM> system to add a static route to a special network which is not
MGM> generally accessible to the world.  The router that serves as the
MGM> gateway to this network looks for traffic from a particular IP
MGM> address so not just any system can get through.

If your private router and your fxp1 device are on the same network
(as defined by IP address and netmask) then that fxp1 card will be
used to send all traffic to the IP address of your router.  There is
no other way to make that happen.  Once you've got your fxp1 talking
to your router, then you can add routes for other netblocks to that
same router IP address, and let the router figure out what to do with
the packets.