Date:      Fri, 23 May 2008 16:53:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Fritz Katz <frtzkatz@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TV-Tuner cards ( NTSC / PAL / SECAM ) - which works best?

--- Fritz Katz [Thu, 22 May 2008 13:31:07 -0700 (PDT)
]

> Is there a TV-Tuner card (that works under
> FreeBSD!) which can tune to RF-input with any
> of the world's TV standards?

--- Dieter [ Thu, 22 May 2008 19:29:54 +0100 ] ---

> NTSC, PAL, & SECAM aren't enough.  You need to add
> the digital ATSC/8VSB and DVB-T/COFDM to your list.
>
> Some chips handle all 3 analog formats, but I don't
> know of any demodulator chips that do both
> ATSC/8VSB and DVB-T/COFDM.

 Yes, digital formats are a must-have.  I'll add
it to to the matrix.

--- Aragon Gouveia [ Thu, 22 May 2008 23:48:58 +0200 ]
> Very happy with my Hauppauge PVR-350.  I have
> the Euro version so running PAL.  It supposedly
> supports all the PAL and SECAM variants, altho
> I've only used it with PAL signals.

I've heard good things about Hauppauge too. However
there are two different models:

  model 00990: WinTV-PVR-350 with NTSC tuner
  model 00993: WinTV-PVR-350 with PAL/SECAM tuner

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr350.html

--- Richard Bown [ Thu, 22 May 2008 22:39:15 +0100 ]
> If I could remember the exact spelling, but
> something like Hauppage produce a good selection
> of PCI &,USBTV cards/sticks, the analogue
> connexant drivers are fairly mature..

  They might be a little 'too mature'. I've
  heard that Brooktree parts can no longer be
  obtained in large
  quantities and are being phased out (can anyone
  else confirm?)  This maybe a concern for FreeBSD
  and Linux TV since so many cards depend
  on the Brooktree (bktr) video capture driver.

  Conexant is the remnants of what was Brooktree.
  On 29 April 2008, Conexant's Broadband Media
  Processing unit, was acquired by NXP
  Semiconductors (a Philips company).

--- Danny Pansters [ Fri, 23 May 2008 01:17:04 +0200 ]

> Can you try kbtv2 (http://freebsd.ricin.com/kbtv2)?
> It likely gives the same result, because this
> tuner is
> unknown to me but kbtv2 is what you should test
> against (kbtv1 is not developed anymore). Try MK3
tuner.

  Hi Danny,

  I sent you a screen-shot of NTSC composite input to
  KBTV2 in a separate email. Looks great. No luck on
  the tuner though.  I expect it'll take some work
  to get it to work correctly.

My task is to put together a system that can ship
world-wide, be able to display any TV signal, and have
all the capabilites that FreeBSD can provide
(internet, graphics, games). Potential applications
are huge. For example, running JAVA the system could
be used to build a low-cost Cable (OCAP in the US or
DVB in Europe) or satellite (DirecTV, DISH, etc)
Set-top box.

We just need to find which of these manufacturers can
deliver a robust "Combo / Hybrid" tuner under FreeBSD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_tuner#Manufacturers