Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:01:12 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a Disk and Changing Mountpoints

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:44:34 -0500, Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
> Thank you for the detailed response. Without knowing any of that, I
> would have totally messed up. I'll be printing out the email so I have
> it handy on Saturday.

I made a mistake. Please check and correct this in your
hardcopy. In the example for copying the home directories,
I wrote:

	# mount -o ro /dev/ad0s1f /usr
	# mount -o ro /dev/ad2s1e /home

The second -o ro is wrong, has to be -o rw, because
you're writing to this partition in the next step:

	# mount -o ro /dev/ad0s1f /usr
	# mount -o rw /dev/ad2s1e /home

The basic idea is to work with least dangerous
permissions, so if you're going to read files from
a partition, -o ro is sufficient. But of course it's
not sufficient for writing. :-)

And for the final /etc/fstab, this is wrong:

	/dev/ad0s1d  /tmp        ufs     rw       2      2
	/dev/ad0s1e  /scratch    ufs     rw       2      2

It would have to be:

	/dev/ad0s1d  /scratch    ufs     rw       2      2
	/dev/ad0s1e  /tmp        ufs     rw       2      2

becausse /dev/ad0s1d previously was /var.

In any case, as you're working with maximum privileges
on file systems, pay attention to device names and
directories. Triple-check them. Always.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany