Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 18:13:03 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Jez Hancock <munk@munkboxen.mine.nu>, FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Checking HDD disk integrity under FreeBSD

At 11:35 PM 5.22.2002 +0100, Jez Hancock wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Short question: is there a hard disk drive integrity checking utility
>for Unix systems that will detect problems with a HDD (similar to
>scandisk in windows)?
>
>Background:
>
>I recently installed a 3rd IDE HDD (Quantum Fireball) into my FreeBSD
>4.4 system (FreeBSD munkboxen.mine.nu 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE),
>and all was fine for a while until I started getting the following
>errors:
>
>	<snip="/var/log/messages">
>	May 22 18:29:26 munkboxen /kernel: ad2c: hard error reading fsbn 160 of
>	80-95 (ad2 bn 160; cn 0 tn 2 sn 34)ad2: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
>	May 22 18:29:26 munkboxen /kernel: ad2: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
>	May 22 18:29:26 munkboxen last message repeated 8 times
>	... continues for various blocks ...
>	</snip="/var/log/messages">
>
>The particular file system is a ufs slice which I dedicated for use with
>/usr/src (I keep all my sources on that partition/slice).  The fstab
>entry looks like this (the pertinent partition entry is commented out to
>stop it from choking when the system boots - fsck just halts and I go
>into single user mode otherwise):
>
>	# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
>	/dev/ad0s2b		none		swap	sw			0		0
>	/dev/ad0s2a		/			ufs		rw			1		1
>	/dev/ad0s2f		/usr		ufs		rw			2		2
>	#/dev/ad2c		/usr/src	ufs		rw			2		2
>	/dev/ad1s1e		/var		ufs		rw			2		2
>	/dev/ad1s2e		/home		ufs		rw			2		2
>	/dev/acd0c		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0		0
>	/dev/fd0		/floppy		ufs		rw,noauto	0		0
>	proc			/proc		procfs	rw			0		0
>
>Any help much appreciated,
>--

That is interesting. I am having problems with the (new) Quantum Fireballs
too with two identical 40Gig on a server. Am getting errors, especially on
the HD #2 when writing large tar gzip backups. It's (they) are hanging up
and it takes a reboot. On reboot, fsck take a long time to put thing back
together again. Methinks the BIOS is not reading the geometry properly,
or....not really sure. But, I've just ordered two new Seagates to replace
them both. I don't trust them anymore as this makes about 3 or 4 hangups
that I first thought was the tar... but after switching to gtar, the
problem didn't go away.... can't afford to keep hanging and rebooting. One
of these times fsck won't recover (salvage) them....ouch!

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin