Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 2020 23:36:19 -0400
From:      Aaron <notjanedeere@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-wireless <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: Re: regdomain.xml - Linux wireless-regdb

Still working on my mailing list etiquette ...

On 7/21/2020 11:11 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 20:03, Aaron <notjanedeere@gmail.com
> <mailto:notjanedeere@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/21/2020 10:53 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>     > As a data source yes, but I'd /love/ ours to be more structured.
>     > Parsing the wireless-regdb format is ... lol.
>     >
>     >
>     > -a
>     Fair enough.  This data also has a 1:1 mapping between country and
>     regulatory domain.  You mentioned Atheros earlier, is this 1:many
>     country:rd mapping necessary or just an artifact of how they coded
>     things?
>

> I mean, both are true. For atheros hardware we do that already in the
> driver; and for other NICs that need local weird channel/sku bits they
> can implement themselves. :-)
>

> -adrian

So Atheros and the Japanese are on their own.  In that case, the data
that's needed is ... what's already in the wireless-regdb file?  You've got:

  * Country
  * Regulatory domain name (albeit only FCC, ETSI and JP), /which isn't
    actually used for anything!/  The details for each country are
    stored directly, there's no referring to the regulatory domains at all.
  * Frequencies and channel widths.
  * TX power (in db OR mW, if that needs to be normalised someone's
    going to have to supply me with a reference or a formula)
  * Flags.  Once the data's parsed we can get a complete list of these.

Is there anything else needed?  And given that each country is a
self-contained dataset, what do we need the regulatory domain name for
beyond a label?