Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:17:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, "Lee E. Hinman" <hinman@networkcs.com>
Subject:   Re: Help with Onboard Adaptec 7890 and LVD drive

On 14-Jan-99 Mike Smith wrote:

() > Does Anybody have any ideas?
()
()  Things you haven't tried:
()
()   - Change the "extended translation for disks > 1GB" option in the
()     Adaptec's setup screen.

I´m not sure if this is necessary: as long as the kernel is under 1 GB,
there shouldn´t appear a problem. For me, that problem appeared on my
good old 486DX-80 at home with a Adaptec 2842 (VLB-SCSI-adapter, don´t
blame, that machine just works and I´m not going to change it :-) ) when
I decided to reinstall my system on the exchange disk I received from
Quantum the one that went to hell some days ago at work. The 2940UW
I used had extended translation enabled (the different is, that the
mapping to this C/H/S scheme uses a maximum of 255 heads, where the
older scheme used just 64 heads due to BIOS limitations, as I remember)
and so I needed to enable it at home, too. Before I never cared about,
as the drive was and is dedicated to FreeBSD and nothing else.

Regards,

Martin
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387