Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:10:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, jbryant@tfs.net, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	if it costs more it MUST be better.
> 	else how could they stay in business, right?  right!

SCO recently did the contrary to stay in business :-).

We have a different problem here. Credit cards are not as popular as in
the US, and it is very dificult, I would say impossible, to obtain the
money from the institution, open the account and buy a FreeBSD CD.
Recently I found a shop that sells copies of Linux, and some more schools
are starting to use Linux, but UNIX is relatively unknown to the common
public.
Perhaps instead of giving the software to students we should should give
it to teachers and Campus network administrators so they will mirror
it or replicate it if (when) they like it.
Perhaps we (the users) are not exploiting the network as we should. If you
have a network connection, it may not be that important to have the CD.

IMO per unit cost must be the same as in other UNIX-like free systems,
perhaps even a bit higher, but the subscription should be more attractive
than on other UNIXs. I'm subscribed as a way to support FreeBSD, but while
2.1.6 is still lost in the mail (I doubt it will arrive) I downloaded
2.2-Release.

Pedro.