Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:32:47 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   need serial communications recommendation

This is a call out to those of you still using RS-232 as some form of
communication. I'm working on a project where I'll need to program
several (approximately 80) devices we're installing over the course of
the next few months. The programming will be manual via my laptop
running HyperTerm right now. No, the office won't let me dump Win98
from that machine. I'm looking for a recommendation for a comm app
that will do some scripting. I currently use Kermit from my FreeBSD
box to my Solaris box for console login, but not sure how it's
scripting works. I want to use this project as a way to show off
FreeBSD to coworkers, and eventually management. I remember Telix from
my BBS days, and I know it supported scripting. Scripting would
defintely reduce my programming time, ultimately reducing my time
required on site. Do any of you have recommendations for a FreeBSD
solution?
 The app I need must allow me to enter in a line of commands (maybe
two, if needed) then start a script of several commands to the serial
port upon receiving a particular character from the device. Is there
such a thing available? I've looked in man pages and on
http://freshports.org, but it seems the answer I'm looking for
should/will come from the FreeBSD community. Thanks in advance for any
light you can shed on this subject.
-Otter