Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:00:33 -0500
From:      "gh" <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Atheists Manifesto

If the author of this document is subscribed to
this list, I would like to speak to you.

Please contact me at
grasshacker@linkfast.net

Note: I have been meaning to write something like
this for a while. Thanks for taking the
initiative.

Dan

|  We live in a world full of Gods.  Many
different cultures have many
| different Gods.  There are two classes of Gods.
The Gods of the past, which
| usually come in groups, which were generally
used to explain things that the
| people did not understand.  From the roaming
patterns of buffalo, to
| lightning and echos, people have made up stories
to explain things they did
| not understand, because ignorance of a subject
leads to fear of it.  Lack of
| knowlege can be frightening.  Still, the people
of today look back at these
| anchient religions and call them "myths".  They
chuckle when they think of
| the ignorance required to believe that the sun
is a God's Chariot.

|  This brings us to the Gods of the present.
Today's religions are commonly
| Monotheistic, relying on the belief of a single
all powerful God.  Today's
| Gods usually provide us with two messages.  One
is a social code which lays
| out a model of society for people to abide by.
The other is a explination
| of the fundamental questions which people tend
to ask.  "Where did we come
| from ?"  "Why are we here ?" and "What happens
when we die ?".  None of
| these questions can be answered to anyone's true
satisfaction.  Ignorance
| creates insecurity, therefore the people need to
find a way to fill in this
| gap in their knowlege.  The most common religion
in the world today is
| Christianity and it's derivitives (Catholicism,
Mormon, Islam, etc).
| Christianity provides the social code, and it
also fills in the gaps in our
| knowlege, explaining the answers to these
questions via the written and
| translated stories of people who lived 2000
years ago.

|  What kind of people existed 2000 years ago ?
By our standards today, they
| were ignorant, violent, socially obtuse, and
worse.  They treated women as
| objects, and slavery for both sex and labor was
common.  The people of this
| era were far less advanced than the Greeks,
who's beliefs we laugh at today.
| And yet, some how, the words, stories, and
beliefs of these people are taken
| as absolute fact by millions of people all over
the world today.
| Christianity speaks of Jesus of Nazerith, the
Christ, the son of God, who
| was born of a virgin, and walked about the
people of the time and performed
| miracles and preached the word of God.  Because
of the historical impact of
| the man referred to, one can hardly deny that a
man named Jesus of Nazerith
| exists, however, in order to believe the rest of
his tale, you must take the
| word of ignorant people  of the past as fact
with no proof, evidence, or
| other information.  This is commonly referred to
as "blind faith".

|  Millions of people choose to dedicate hours,
days, and years of their life
| worshipping this Christian God.  They are so
certain that these people of
| the past, whom they probably aren't even
decended from, are speaking the
| truth, that they are willing to devote their
entire lives to this "story".
| They believe in a God, who in the past performed
many many miracles, but for
| some reason has decided to discontinue his
supernatural behaviors.  God no
| longer comes to earth and speaks with men, as he
did in the past.

|  Why is it people are blind to the fact that
they are emulating the same
| behaviors they criticize the Greeks, American
Indians, and others for ?  How
| can anyone honestly take this 2000 year old
story as fact, with no evidence,
| and devote thier entire lives to it ?  I would
like to put forth my theory
| on that subject.
|
|  As we've estabished, the people of today have
the same types of
| insecurities that need "explaining".  The fear
of death has made men invent
| the world of spirituality.  The idea that when
one dies, that is the end;
| that one's bones go into the ground and
decompose, is too frightening or
| depressing to people.  So instead, they have to
believe that some part of
| them is immortal.  That they can always live on
in some form or another.  I
| call this an emotional crutch.  It's a way of
dealing with one's
| insecurities about our lives.  It makes us feel
important, like we're
| something more than a street sweeper, or garbage
collector.  We're all
| immortal souls with a much more glorious future
ahead of us.  This emotional
| crutch helps many people get through the day
with a little self esteem and
| hope, and I don't begrudge them their crutch.
What I do disagree with is
| the ignorance, but I would not be one to demand
that others give up their
| emotional crutches in the name of enlightenment.
I believe that enforcing
| your beliefs on another person, especially
beliefs based solely on blind
| faith, to be the highest crime one human can do
to another, short of taking
| their life.
|
|  So if we, the atheist, are going to allow the
street sweeper to believe,
| and we're going to choose not to believe, then
what is the problem ?  What
| is the purpose of this manefesto ?  I believe
that atheists are condemned by
| the majority of the population.  Those of us who
are secure enough in our
| own existance, and who feel that the 70 plus or
minus 5 years on this earth
| is all we have, are treated like unholy fools.
Those who will be punished
| in the afterlife.  Those who are infected with
this mental epidemic tend to
| react to the atheist in one of several ways.
One way is to try to convert
| or convince the atheist that the 2000 year old
story is true, and that the
| atheist needs to change his/her ways, lest they
face eternal hellfire.  The
| second way is to simply exclude and disassociate
from the atheist, perhaps
| making comments about the "poor" soul to other
believers.

|  You'll notice I referred to religion as a
mental epidemic.  Many believers
| take this as an insult.  I label religion such,
because of certain behaviors
| that today's "evolved" religions have.
|
|  (1) Questioning the religion's validity, asking
for proof, expressing
| skepticism, etc, are all considered to be "sins"
or crimes under the
| religion.  In other words, independant, logical,
unbiased thought are not
| allowed.  Back in the earlier times when the
followers were a little more
| "rabid" people were burned to death for
expressing such ideas.

|  (2) Religion is taught to children at a VERY
young age.  Basically, from
| kindergarden to adulthood, a believing parent is
supposed to enroll the
| child in some kind of religous program like
Sunday School.  The reason for
| this is to expose the child to religion at an
early age, before rational
| logical thought develops.  This way, the child
grows up with religion, so
| that any thoughts, ideas, concepts of atheism or
disbelief are completely
| alien to them.  An analigous example would be
Hitler's Youth.  Hitler also
| knew this concept well.  If you wish to spread
an idea, and have it safe
| from independant or radical thought, ingrain it
in the children before they
| can reason.  Today's religions have it down to a
science, with songs,
| videos, and activities designed to make the
child a believer before they
| truly even understand what God is.  If people
waited until age 13-15 before
| introducing religion to their children, so that
the children could
| rationally decide if this was what they wanted
to believe, religion would
| not be such a wide spread epidemic.
|
|  (3) Religions instruct their people to attempt
to convert (or in some
| radical cases, kill) any disbelievers.  The
kinder, more passive religions
| will simply ask their congregation to bring new
people into the church every
| week.  Once a person visits the church once or
twice, the church has them
| added to their mailing and phone lists.  They
attempt to get the person to
| regularly attend.  Then they attempt to get the
person to participate in a
| ritual, such as baptism or confession.  These
are relatively benign
| activities, and usually can only trap the weak
minded.  The more "active"
| religions send people out to visit your home.
They want to come in and talk
| to you about god and convince you that the 2000
year old story is true
| (because they say it is).  They run commercials,
and give your free
| literature or free copies of the bible.  They'll
do anything to convert you
| to their way.  Why ?  Because their religion
specifies it.

|  (4) Religion requires that you disbelieve
anything scientific that might
| possibly contradict the religion.  We've all
seen and heard religous people
| sit and argue about how the entire sciences of
Biology, Genetics, and
| Physics are just plain wrong, because the 2000
year old story contradicts
| it.
|
|  (5) Religion covers every base.  No matter what
kind of argument or
| evidence you can bring up to attempt to
contradict religion, the believer
| can always simply make up a little story or
"possibility" of how God, using
| his supernatural powers, can simply have "made
it that way".  Take for
| instance the Dinosaurs.  Either they didn't
exist, and the bones "are really
| from contemporary animals, which are being
fitted together incorrectly to
| look like a creature that never existed", or
"God put those bones down
| there."  No one knows why.  Or how about how we
are all decended from Adam
| and Eve ?  Adam and Eve must not have truely
been human, or mankind would
| have died from inbred genetic diseases
(insufficeient gene pool), after the
| first couple hundred generations.  And how did
those people in the bible
| live for hundreds of years ?  Were the laws of
physics and the nature of
| human biology that different back then ?
Religion fields these questions
| with ease.  "God made it that way".  "It's all
part of God's plan".

|  Beyond the grievences I have as an atheist
living in a belief based
| society, I also have grievences as a human
being.  I have a personal care
| and interest in the well-being of my species.  I
would like to see mankind
| reach out into space, establish colonies on
other planets and systems.
| Become something more than the proverbial 2 day
mold on a piece of bread
| (before it is thrown out), before conditions in
our solar system change and
| erase us from existance.  Truthfully, everyone
should care about mankind's
| development.  The problem is this.  The
religions are "anti-science" in many
| respects.  There are many things, like cloning,
which we should not do
| because that is God's territory.  "Playing God"
is not allowed.  Add that to
| the fact that many of man's best minds, people
who could be possible
| Einsteins of certain fields, are robbed of their
potential because they are
| infected with this mental disease.  If John Doe
grows up believing that
| evolution, biology and genetics are in conflict
with his religion, he
| certainly wouldn't excersize the possibility
that maybe he would have become
| one of the best Geneticists in the history of
the science.  Not only that,
| but those who don't believe, and wish to advance
mankind's knowlege are
| restrained by the believers.  They are forced to
move at a slow enough pace
| so that the religions can readjust, reevaluate,
and reinterpret the words of
| their religion so that they don't reach a point
in which they cannot explain
| how their religion can be true with science
showing the oppisite.  Then
| there are such fanatics who spend every waking
hour worshiping God, to the
| point which they're throwing away the most
valuable thing they own.  Life.
| Real life, here on earth.  One only has so much
time.  If one spends all of
| that time trying to get ahead on the "next"
life, they are throwing this
| life away, and not contributing to the society
and species as a whole.
| Religion is a serious drain on mankind's most
important resources, manpower
| and time.  And no matter how much science proves
that the world is 4 billion
| years old and not 15,000 years old, and that the
universe was formed through
| the mixing and spreading of elements, and not by
the wave of a magic wand,
| and no matter how many times scientists try to
show that life on earth was
| formed by the interactions of nucleic acids (and
it still is every day),
| it's absolutely impossible to convince a
believer that the simplest answer
| is the correct answer.  The world is as it
seems.  There is no second world,
| second life, greater power, or magic that makes
it all possible.  And it's
| sad, because we need every one of those
believers with us, here on earth,
| helping out, not praying in some church or
temple in front of some clown in
| a suit or fancy religious outfit.
|
|  I am an atheist.  I live in a world full of
people, blind to their own
| ignorance, dedicated to a 2000 year old story
written by people who's
| intellect doesn't even compare to an 8th grader.
I have to live with these
| people, respect thier beliefs, and endure their
constant attempts to convert
| me into one of their ilk.  I have to watch as
millions of man-years go down
| the drain, wasted away in foolishness.  I watch
as other atheists have to
| hide their beliefs, to avoid being condemned by
the believers and ostrasized
| from society.  But as I'm watching, I'm waiting.
I see with every
| generation, more and more people are simply
"going through the motions".
| They take part in the process, but they don't
really believe in it.  They
| simply do what is expected of them.  Soon, they
reach a certain age or time
| in their life in which they no longer attend the
church, but they "still
| believe".  They don't pray anymore but they
"still believe".  They go about
| living their real lives, pretending to
themselves and others that they
| believe.  These are a kind of "Casual
Christians".  This behavior shows the
| deterioration of the true believers as a whole.
A pattern author Frank
| Herbert referred to as "rot at the core".  As
parents become more and more
| lax about their own religious patterns, they
begin to spare their children
| the foolishness of church and Sunday School.
Slowly the religious base of
| mankind is deteriorating.  People are giving
less and less credability to
| the 2000 year old story, as they grow up in a
world of computers, cloning,
| genetic therapy, and microbiology.  It's only a
matter of time until,
| hopefully, enough of us break free of this
mental disease and begin to live
| life for the here and now and not to please some
imaginary God in order to
| gain entrance to some fantasy land.  I am not
alone.  Talking privately with
| many others of my generation, I know I'm not the
only one who thinks
| religious people are foolish.  While most will
tell an adult they believe in
| God, it's simply because they don't want to
experience the social punishment
| of being a disbeliever.  So we watch and wait.
Wait for the world to wake
| up from this 2000 year old dream.  Some day
people will look back on
| Christianity the same way people look back at
Zeus and Apollo.  They'll ask
| how a people who've mastered genetics,
computers, atomic physics, etc, can
| possibly believe in such childish nonsense.  The
answer is, most of us
| don't, we're just afraid to admit it, because
we've seen what kind of
| violence the rabid religious can bring forth
when their beliefs are
| threatened.  So rather than rising against
religion and preaching against
| it, we watch and wait for it to die of apathy.
If we're wrong, we'll be
| condemned to hell for all eternity.  If the
religious are wrong, then
| they'll have thrown away the single most
valuable thing they possess.  Their
| life.  I am an atheist.  This is my manifesto.
It is the first step in

majordomo@FreeBSD.org
| with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body
of the message