Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:41:46 -0400
From:      Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com>
To:        Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.tor.lets.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable Users <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: serious vinum bug in 4-10 RELEASE?-solved?

Steve Shorter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 06:40:01AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>>I see no drives.
>>

>>>	Ideas?
>>

> 	I have concluded that this is the result of somekind
> of vinum/hardware incompatibility. The problem in question
> occured during the upgrade to faster disks, specifically,
> Seagate Cheetah ST318453LC on a DELL 2450. If I swap back
> the old Quantum Atlas 36G disk, the problem entirely
> disappears. The new disks function ok with UFS partitions
> but not vinum. It is 100% repeatable.
>
> 	Don't know why.

We have had issues with Cheetah U320 harddrives (at least the 10K 80-pin
varieties on our Supermicro boxes) with a high percentage of drive
failures ( > 10%) and communications errors across the scsi bus. These
errors disappear when we reverted back to IBM/Hitachi drives. The
Seagate issues occur with both FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x series so there is
something in the Seagate firmware (I believe) that is interacting poorly
with FreeBSD. We have experienced these issues with vinum setups and
other configurations where the there are either multiple Seagate drives
or multiple drives where one of them is a Seagate. Firmware updates did
not help. I have not had this problem where there is only one drive and
it occupies da0.

Sven