Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 15:17:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   running linux binaries from ext2fs partition

Is it possible to run linux (or freebsd) binaries directly from a
local ext2fs partition?

My machine dual boots between Freebsd 3.3-stable (as of Nov 7) and Red
Hat 6.0.  I have the linux_base-6.0 port installed, and I can run
linux binaries by copying them to a freebsd partition.  But I tried
running them directly from their ext2fs partition and I got a "page
fault while in kernel mode" panic.  I'm not using soft updates, if
that matters.

I'm guessing that this is not supported and probably has nothing to do
with linux binaries.  If I'm wrong and this should work, then I'll be
back with more details.  But I thought I should check before I run too
many experiments that crash my system. :-(

While we're on the subject, on what filesystem types is it ok to run
binaries?  Local freebsd (UFS), NFS, and cdrom should all work, right?
Are there others?

--Mark Krentel