Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:37:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for secure http protocols

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Nate Williams wrote:
> > I still think port 22 encapsulation of crypto has alot of advantages.  I
> > acknowledge it doesn't do everything, but suppose a divert socket daemon
> > exists which does the following.  On outgoing traffic, it checks whether a
> > remote host has sshd.  If so, it redirects all traffic to that host
> > through port 22 using port forwarding.  This builds on techniques which
> > already exist in natd and ppp -alias.
>
> Unfortunately, things don't work that way.  The only time 'automatic'
> use of the old ports occur is on unix (not Wintel), and *only* when you
> are first setting up the connection (again, only on Unix.)  This is
> intended as a replacement for rsh, which doesn't exist on Wintel boxes.

I don't think you understand what I am talking about.  See paragraph
below.  I know what ssh does.  I also know what tcp does.

> > Clients could be completely decoupled from crypto (they wouldn't even have
> > to know about ssh port forwarding) .
>
> Actually, they do.  To enable port forwarding, you must connect to
> 'localhost', and not to the normal host you want to connect to.

Read my posting more carefully.  Note the reference to natd and ppp
-alias.  Suppose a packet is is destined for a remote host.  In principle,
outbound packets can be selectively redirected via NAT type processing to
a local port brought up by ssh. When a new connection is needed a new ssh
port forwarding relationship could be established (or perhaps when ssh is
started up a group of ports could be snarfed up and reused as necessary).
Or a new ssh connection with a desired port forwarding relationship can be
established for each connection.

What I don't know is whether port forwarding relationships can be
dynamically created and destroyed during a single ssh session.  Probably
not, but desirable.

This process as described is transparent to the client.

I honestly think your comments were condescending without being
knowledgable.  Of all people, you should be aware that I understand
networking at a detailed level.

Charles Mott