Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:07:22 -0500
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@slis.indiana.edu>
To:        Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenLDAP + Kerberos

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 12:26 PM, Matt Smith wrote:

> I have MIT Krb5 installed from ports, as well as the base system
> (Heimdall?) kerberos.  I am trying to compile the openldap2 port with
> Kerberos support.  Specifically, I am looking to have Kerberos enabled
> clients: ldapsearch, ldapmodify, etc.

I don't know how the port is put together (I'm almost exclusively
working with Solaris and MacOS X at the moment) but OpenLDAP doesn't
need to know anything about kerberos, or even be compiled with Kerberos
support.  What you DO need is to have OpenLDAP is properly compiled
with SASL support and then make sure your SASL installation supports
Kerberos, then anything that uses SASL (eg, ldapsearch and friends)
should automagically support Kerberos.

Have a look at:
http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html

-john