Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 11:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unusual syslog packets, crashing named...

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> The text and the host name seem to indicate a Livingston/Lucent Portmaster
> 4 terminal server.  ChoiceNet is their 'filtering' software.  On the PMs
> you can configure the box to send out via syslog any filter violations.
> e.g. if the dialup user is set so that they are only allowed outgoing
> access to port 110 (POP3), but try to browse, the filter will block them,
> and send the message to syslog. My guess is that the person made a typo in
> setting his/her loghost.

Weird that it got sent to two of our hosts and not more (we have a whole
subnet of virtual domains there..)  I've sent them email to see if that
helps.

> Are you sure its crashing named though ? or is it just a coincidence...

Almost certainly a coincidence, but I was concerned that it happened on
the same day.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/