Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:47:31 +0100
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Henning Kropp <wir02jcr@studserv.uni-leipzig.de>
Subject:   Re: (g)vinum with 5.3

Am Freitag, 11. Februar 2005 13:05 schrieb Henning Kropp:
> [...]
> drive a device /dev/ad0s1e
> drive b device /dev/ad1s1c  //has changed to s1c
> drive c device /dev/ad2s1c  /  -"-
> volume myvolume
> plex org concat // I mist to post that the last time, sry!
> sd length 3214325K drive a
> sd length 3242353K drive b
> sd length 3214243K drive c //size dont matter here
>
> [...]
>
> root# bsdlabel /dev/ad2s1c
> # /dev/ad2s1c:
> 8 partitions:
>        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 78172227       63    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28552   # "raw" part,
> don't edit
> partition c: partition extends past end of unit
> bsdlabel: partition c is not marked as unused!
> bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
> bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
> system utilities
>
> Both have an offset of 63, which is the default I think. But still
> bsdlabel is not very happy with both. I sry but I cant tell why. If
> anybody could I'll be happy to know.

Did you read what bsdlabel(8) told you?
The " # "raw" part, don't edit"  behind the 'c'-data for instance?
This is not meant as a joke... really: *don't edit*!

According to the bsdlabel(8) man-page (hint, hint! :-), the
'c'-partition stands for the whole disk or slice resp. and has to have
the type 'unused' and an offset of "0". It must not be used at all!

The 'a'-partition of the boot disk is used for the root filesystem and
any 'b' partitions are generally used for swap space. So it's save to
use partitions 'd'-'h' for filesystems, additionally partition 'a' on
non-boot disks.

Please read the bsdlabel(8) man-page *and* the FreeBSD Handbook, Chapter
16.3 *before* you label your disk.

> But what happens when either try to run vinum or gvinum is:
> vinum easily runs with this configuration but as the system reboots
> it panics saying:
> panic: umount. dangling vnode

As I mentioned already: You *must* start classic-vinum *after* the main
filesystems are already mounted. That is either you do it manually
(e.g. once for backup purposes) or you modify the 'vinum'-script
in /etc/rc.d so that it is executed after... I would try after "LOGIN".
You must not load classic-vinum via /boot/loader.conf. You also have to
modify the (classic-) vinum-filesystems in /etc/fstab so that they are
not mounted automaticly ( option 'noauto'). See the fstab(5) man-page
for details.

Because all of this I always mounted classic-vinum filesystems manually
under FreeBSD-5... :-)

> I was told that this is to vfs_mount.c and geom_dev.c and a downgrade
> to vfs_mount.c  1.27 and geom_de.c  1.75 would make the thing work
> again. This is because the new versions together cant deal with every
> config, for example it cant work with mine. How can I either
> downgrade or rewrite my config?? (Maybe Mathias has written his PR)

I never tried this way...

> Of course I tried to use gvinum right from the start. But with the
> config gvinum tells me, that drive a (dev/ad0s1e, by now mounted with
> /usr) is already known. Well, dont know what gvinum is tying to tell
> me here.

What?! Did you mount it? Or is it still mentioned in /etc/fstab but not
mounted any more...

If you *did* mount /dev/ad0s1e as /usr you should start from the
beginning reading the vinum(8) man-page as well as Chapter 17 of the
handbook. Then there's a basic misunderstanding how (g)vinum should be
configured... You can mount /dev/(g)vinum/myvolume but not any of the
drive partitions!

--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F