Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:27:11 -0400
From:      Syam Gadde <gadde@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   CSS authentication for DVD-ROMs

Given the recent posting of DVD movie decryption code (see Slashdot
for details), I was wondering if there was interest for code that
does CSS authentication for DVD-ROM drives.  Has anyone been
working on this?  It's been in the Linux source tree for a while,
and I've spent a small amount of time writing a patch for similar
ioctls in the current FreeBSD ATAPI CD driver.  I am now able to
authenticate my drive using an appropriately modified css-auth
(by Derek Fawcus), granting me access to the (still encrypted)
video files on the DVD (mounted as a CD9660 file system, since
most DVDs these days are still written with both UDF and CD9660
file systems).

Basically, my modifications follow the publicly available Mt. Fuji
spec for Multimedia Devices (SFF8090), and allow a user-level
program (such as css-auth above) to do the nasty work, using ioctls
to drive the authentication process.  Note again that this addresses
only authentication, not the meatier problem of decryption.

So if there is interest, and if no one has done more extensive work
on this, I'll clean up my code and post patches.

-syam