Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:46:49 -0400
From:      Lucas Wilcox <lucasw@dam.brown.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems playing certain wav files

Hi,
I recently install freebsd 4.8 on my laptop and am having some problems
with the sound.  First, xmms works great no problems.  For some wave
files I can play them no problem and some will not play.  No error
message, wavplay just quits right away without playing the sound.  What
can I do to trouble-shoot this better?  My main concern is that the
sound from xmame is not working.  It works in freebsd 4.7 on my desktop
machine.

Here is my setup:
uname -a
FreeBSD r2d2 4.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #1: Sun Apr 20 00:06:26
EDT 2003 root@r2d2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/R2D2  i386

cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> at I/O port 0x3000 irq 11
(4p/0r/4v channels duplex)

I also have in my /etc/sysctl.conf
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4

I can provide working and not working wave files if anyone is
interested.  Thanks for everyones time.

Lucas