Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:27:15 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directories with 2million files

David O'Brien wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:11:04AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>

>>Doing  'ls -f' works, but still manages to munch up about 260MB of ram,
>>which runs since I have enough, but otherwise would not.
>>

>It used 260MB of VM, not physial RAM.  Even with less in your machine, it
>would have worked fine -- no one is going to have less than than much
>virutal memory (i.e., swap) if they run Netscape on the same machine.

Ok - here's the snippet from 'top':

Mem: 268M Active, 147M Inact, 155M Wired, 32M Cache, 86M Buf, 144M Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 2356K Used, 1022M Free

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
36102 anderson 132    0   263M   263M RUN      0:02 68.63%  9.57% ls
36103 anderson 119    0  1180K   560K RUN      0:00  5.60%  0.78% wc

However, I'm not sure about the Netscape comment - I don't really know
what you are referring to, but I'd guess most likely a person with
2million files in one directory isn't going to be running Netscape on it
anyhow.

Anyway, the real issue is du I believe.  Not being able to du a
directory with 2million files seems like a bad thing.

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.