Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 19:51:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Hsu <support@cdrom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on Dell Latitude portable (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 10:00:01 -0700
From: Darren Croke <djc@best.com>
To: support@cdrom.com
Cc: djc@shellx.best.com
Subject: FreeBSD on Dell Latitude portable

Hello,

I just purchased FreeBSD and I'm trying to install it on a new Dell
Latitude XPi 75Mhz pentium portable. I have 24 megs of Ram and I'm
dual booting Windows 95 and FreeBSD using System Commander.

I shrunk my original 800 MB DOS partion in half using fips.exe from
the Linux distribution to make space for the FreeBSD partition. I then
installed via NFS. The kernel loads from hard disk, probes all the i/o
devices, and then hangs. The system will not respond to key strokes
including <^c>, <del>, <^d>, <alt><f?>.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I might proceed in debugging
this problem ?

Darren Croke.

ps. FYI, I had to turn off Dell's power management in order to get
the system to boot the FreeBSD kernel at all.