Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 07:45:28 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SQL Server Recomendation Needed

On Wed, 04 Aug 1999, Joey Garcia wrote:
> work we use DB2 on the AS/400 so I was thiking of using a database
> server that's similar to DB2.

Then you probably want to use PostGreSQL. MySQL is blazingly fast and perfect
for a web back-end, but is woefully lacking in functionality compared to
something like DB2. (By "functionality", I mean things like cursors,
transactions, triggers, server-side stored procedures, etc. that both
PostgreSQL and DB2 have).

> Also, are there any GUI tools that will aid in creating tables and stuff
> for either of the two open source databases mentioned?  If so, can you
> point me to their location?

PostgreSQL comes with something called "pgaccess" which does some of the "heavy
lifting" in this instance.  Most new Unix applications today use a web page
interface. PHP3 is easy to use and interfaces well with the Apache web server
via the mod_php3 interface. I believe this is available in ports and packages
already pre-done.

For more info:

http://www.php3.net
http://www.postgresql.org