Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:28:19 +0100
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: MFC of local_startup changes to rc.d complete

On Friday 23 December 2005 18:52, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:38:15 +0100
>
> Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 23 December 2005 15:19, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > > I'm not sure this is the way to go, but ...
> > >
> > > Can someone put a document on what is the desired model?  I think we
> > > have too much little pieces of disperse notes about this.
> > >
> > > Also, some working notes about ports and RELENG_4/RELENG_5 src
> > > issues will be of interest.
> > >
> > > Hope this can be tweak in time for 6.1 (Jan).
> >
> > 	Convert your old script to rcNG scripts and use USE_RC_SUBR=
> > script.sh. Ensure that the rcorder preamble contains meaningful
> > keywords (PROVIDES, REQUIRES, BEFORE, ...) for all your rcNG scripts.
> > bsd.port.mk should do the rest.
>
> You should actually convert your old script to a ``rc.d'' script,
> that's how they are called now.

	rcNG was the word for "using rc.subr". From the beginning these
	rc.subr-powered scripts have been using the rcorder preamble and have
	always been rc.d script actually. Since we're talking about the same thing,
	I'm not sure words are really important.

> Also, if your script is rc.d compatible you should use:
> USE_RC_SUBR=script (without .sh)
> For now it doesn't matter because bsd.port.mk install all USE_RC_SUBR
> scripts with .sh extension, but see below

	Using the .sh extension prevents from conflicts in ${WRKDIR} and you know
	what kind of file it is in ${FILESDIR}. Anyway, what is the difference
	between adding .sh suffix in some cases and removing it in some cases ?

--
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org