Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:40:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Geoffrey <geoffrey@reptiles.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Tim Bishop <tim-lists@bishnet.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: STABLE on a new production system

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Doug Barton wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Tim Bishop wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm about to start building a new production server (web and e-mail
> > mainly) and I'm pondering which version of FreeBSD to install. All my
> > other productions machines are running either -STABLE or in the most
> > important cases a security branch. I follow this list, so I'm confident
> > enough to run -STABLE :-)
>
> Good, run -stable. :)
>
> > However, now FreeBSD 5.0 is out I'm unsure of what to install on a new
> > machine. I'm aware that 5.0 isn't geared towards production systems,
> > and I expect there could be some stability issues or problems building
> > ports. That said, if I opt for 4.8 it won't be that long until I'll be
> > looking at reinstalling/upgrading to get up to 5.2 and the new -STABLE. So
> > maybe just opting for 5.0 and bearing with it for the coming months is
> > the way to go?
>
> Regardless of cvs tags, an actual production-ready 5.x is at least a year
> away. Only run 5.x IF you can handle down time, debugging, and reading
> both freebsd-current and the source cvs commit list religiously. (And yes,
> this is meant to be scary.)

	At the same time, it would not be a bad idea to encourage him to
get into the loop and build a 5.0 box and join -current and commits to at
least get a feel for what is going on.
	I'm not at all suggesting this for production, but for experience.

"You cannot deftly manipulate the control stick if you are suffering
from diarrhoea"-
[from a manual for Japanese Kamikaze pilots]