Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2013 09:25:35 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-multimedia@dino.sk>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ITE Technologies, Inc. DVB-T TV Stick [success report]

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 20:33:52 +0200
Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 05:42:41PM +0200, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:06:42 +0200
> > Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> > [ snip ]
> >=20

> > > Yes that's what it looks like, you can watch the uncorrected error
> > > count via vdr-plugin-femon (UNC) provided the tuner driver reads
> > > out that info, if it does and it's non-zero artefacts are caused
> > > by a too weak/corrupted signal.  There also is the BER value that
> > > some more drivers read out, that can be nonzero and yet the errors
> > > may be correctable, but if it's constantly zero you can assume
> > > video corruptions aren't caused by the antenna signal.
> > >=20
> >=20
> > I am trying to test dual channel receiving, I did not find good
> > description how I should configure second receiver...
>=20
> vdr should pick up the second tuner automagically so there's no
> need to configure it explicitly.

OK, I supposed it, just good to have it confirmed. But, what I need to
find, is how it will be started to use... I hope I will figure that out.

> > when I changed IP
> > in vdr_flags from 127.0.0.1 to real one, it works locally but
> > trying to run vdr-sxfe on another box does not work, I got just
> > kernel crash and reboot.
>=20
>  Whoops!  I suppose you need to collect a backtrace of that panic...

It is a bit harder, it looks like this is on a bit screwed box. So I
need to test it on another, fully working box, which takes some time to
prepare.

> >  I was under impression vdr-sxfe run with argument
> > xvdr://IP.of.the.server should just work, which is not the case.
>=20
>  You may need to allow you subnet in:
>=20
> 	/usr/local/etc/vdr/plugins/xineliboutput/allowed_hosts.conf

This I did already, otherwise it was reported as not allowed or
somesuch.

> >  How should I test streamdev plugin?
>=20
>  Make sure streamdev is enabled in vdr_flags, then just point some
> player like vlc at one of the streamdev channels, like:
>=20
> 	vlc http://127.1:3000/1
>=20
>  (the last 1 there is the channel number.)
>=20
>  You can also point a browser at:
>=20
> 	http://127.1:3000/
>=20
> to get a channel list.

This interface is working, and I am able to watch one channel via
vdr-sxfe, the second one via vlc. Yupeeee! So this device definitely
works in dual channel mode... I will try to watch it via vlc remotely -
on other box, via network... but it requires a bit of time to prepare
(see above :) ).

>  If you want to test the second tuner make sure the channel is on
> another mux than the one you're watching in vdr-sxfe or both will be
> received by only one tuner...

Yes, that's clear to me. I understand the concept of muxed streams.

>  Oh and there can only be one channel and osd shown by vdr-sxfe, even
> if you connect more than one vdr-sxfe instances over the network,
> that's why I suggested streamdev for testing the second tuner.
>=20
> > I would expect it should be configured this plugin in vdr_flags...
>=20
>  Yep.
>=20
> > Also, what about femon plugin? How should it be used?
> >=20
>  It shuold put an entry in the vdr osd main menu, just select that.
> BER and UNC (if available) readings for the currently playing channel
> will be shown in the top display.

Do you mean pressing Tab? Here I see Devices column at the right side.
Is that displaying it?

> > On https://wiki.freebsd.org/VDR, there is some menu mentioned. When
> > I use vdr-sxfe, there is no menu. Where is menu mentioned on wiki
> > located and how could it be accessed?
>=20
>  If you use the default /usr/local/etc/vdr/remote.conf installed
> by the vdr-plugin-xineliboutput port (you can look at that file!)
> then the menu is on the tab and insert keys in the vdr-sxfe (or
> softhddevice) osd.

Ahh, finally figured that out! It happened I did not test pressing Tab
key until now in vdr-sxfe... Anyway, thanks for pointing to the config
file, I understand it now much better. It was just some blind testing
before...

> >  This is not clear at all from what's written there...
> >=20
>  Hmm...

Or I was just blind looking here, but surely putting on this page
something like short paragraph 'Accessing OSD menu - You should press
Tab key' would make it clear. In my eyes this is a key information and
should be properly highlighted here. Even if it seems now a bit
overkill, it would saved me a bit of headache :)

> > Otherwise, it looks this device works well for usual watching, I
> > need to find how to do some recording (not only pressing R key in
> > vdr-sxfe) and how to play recorded program back.
> >=20
>  You can either check the epg via the osd (on screen display, Menu
> -> Schedule, or Menu -> Program guide if you enabled the extrecmenu
> plugin) in vdr-sxfe and hit Red (F4) to record the selected show,
> or you can use the live web plugin if you enabled that, by pointing
> a browser at:
>=20
> 	http://127.1:8008/
>=20
>  (Default login/pw is admin/live as mentioned on the wiki.)
>=20

I figured it out from wiki, this web plugin is just great. I feel it
could be a primary interface for all my needs.

There is just one big issue remaining - character encoding in all
output, be it info text displayed when 'I' is pressed in OSD, short
text displayed when channels are switched with 'up' or 'down' cursor
key, or anything in web live interface. In slovak language (or czech,
as czech TV is watched here quite often as well) we use a lot of
various accented characters. All of them are displayed as ?a in OSD
display (while it could be a with umlaut or accent grave - two various
sounds actually), in web live they are displayed as =C3=82a instead of =C3=
=A1 as
it should be. I did not have any experience with writing accented
characters short of copy-and-paste method, so solving this may be
obvious, too, I just have no idea, how.

So, basically, I am quite impressed with VDR and its web live plugin,
my DVB-T stick seems to be just working really well. Thanks for your
support.

Regards,
Milan