Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 13:13:32 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Oliver Brandmueller <ob@gruft.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange problem: fxtv and sound

Oliver Brandmueller:
 |On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 11:26:52AM +0100, Roger Hardiman wrote:
 |> > Everytime I change the channel (using mouse or keyboard) or just move the
 |> > mouse over the edge of the fxtv window the sound gets a few percent
 |> > louder. The slider in the window moves, fxtv shows the new volume setting
 |> > with it's OSD.
 |>
 |> Does it keep getting louder and louder until it gets to maximum volume?

This could be explained by a few things.  First, if the sound driver is not
returning the same value on a "get" as the value that was issued by the
last "set", that would do it.

Alternatively, it might be due to another audio app rounding the numbers.
It could also be Xaw3d.

Try this.  Build fxtv from ports with these changes.

1) In tvaudioc.c::TVAUDIOSetLineVolume(), put a:

     printf( "Set volume: %d %d\n", vol[0], vol[1] );

   right before the MIXER_WRITE ioctl.

2) Also put a:

     printf( "Get volume: %d %d\n", vol[0], vol[1] );

   inside the else clause in tvaudio.c::TVAUDIOResync() (this is after the
   MIXER_READ ioctl).

3) In actions.c::TVActionSetVolumeAction(), add:

          printf( "TVActionSetVolumeAction: value = %d\n", vol_val );

      right before:

          TVAUDIOSetLineVolume( vol_val, TRUE );

4) In tvmenu.c::TVTOOLSVolSliderJumpCB(), add:

       printf( "TVTOOLSVolSliderJumpCB: value = %d\n", vol );

   right before:

       TVAUDIOSetLineVolume( vol, False );

This will tell us what values we're sending to the sound driver and
receiving from the sound driver.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@ipass.net

           / CLICK HERE TO GIVE FULL CONTROL OF YOUR MACHINE  \
           \              TO THE LATEST VIRUS                 /

           (Microsoft Outlook moto:  "Do you feel lucky today?")