Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 2009 01:22:35 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 - network stack crashes?

Weldon S Godfrey 3 wrote:

> I don't
> know how to troubleshoot this further on the server since I am not
> getting any problems indicated in logging, panics, cores, etc.

If you have console access to the system, the generic advice would be to
compile a kernel with the kernel debugger - options KDB and DDB (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-online-ddb.html),
enter the debugger, force a kernel dump file to be created (by entering
"call doadump") and then proceed with post-mortem examination of the
kernel at your leisure (e.g. from a remote ssh console, etc).

See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-deadlocks.html
for instructions on what information to collect.

If you can provoke your problem with using WITNESS that would probably
be great, but it will slow down your production machine noticeably. When
WITNESS is enabled you might also get more information - such as LOR
warnings, which you should also collect.

Keep the dump file, someone might ask you for more information.

Good luck!