Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:21:45 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
To:        Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror disks vs partitions

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 02:29:33PM +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 1/17/07, Josef Karthauser <joe@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > A poll for opinions if I may?

i suppose i'm asking the smae here as well ...

> > I've got a few gmirrors running on various machines, all of which
> > pair up two drives at the physical level (i.e. mirror /dev/ad0s1
> > with /dev/ad1s1).  Of course there are other ways of doing it to,
> > like mirroring at the partition level, ie pairing /dev/ad0s1a with
> > /dev/ad1s1a, /dev/ad0s1e with /dev/ad0s1e, etc.
> >
> > Apart from potentially avoiding a whole disk from being copied
> > during a resync after a crash, are there any other advantages to
> > using partition level mirroring instead of drive level mirroring?
>
> I can imagine people using partition-level raid to
> implement a popular configuration:
>
> You divide a couple of identical drives proportionally
> in two partitions each, place a couple of the first
> partitions into gmirror and a couple of the second
> ones into gstripe. This way you get both reliable and
> fast storage with just two drives. Some strings are
> attached.

my situation is somewhat different, in theat i am providing internet
services for a (private) group to access tcp/ip based communications
(we are all disabled and couldn't fine "reasonable" priced and
competently serviced "ISP" services in our part of teh world, so we
decided to do it for our selves) .. sorry thet is teh history and
reason behind my participation in/with freebsd (over teh last 10 or so
years).

we have just recieved several older machines, PIII compaq proliant 5500
with hardware raid works quite nicely wonce it settled down and its
batteries regained working voltage so to speak, it is running freebsd
6.10release, ms windows professional 2003 server, and linux debian
(sarge v3.1) it is a multi-boot fixit box as well as bing teh basic
"fileserver/nfs host" and kernel builder, with its 4 cpu architecture
it works well. also came several 233 mhz 2 ide/2 rom drives (cd and
dvd) and an 800 mhz PIII similarly equiped. all are intel hardware of
some 8-10 years vintage, this is now the basic netowrk backbone, and
upgrading from several intel 386dx33 and intel 486dx33/50 machines that
have served this netowrk for over 20 years now.

now that andrew has 'opened' my eyes so to speak to teh world of
software raid and after some extensive reading i discovered RAIDFrame
which looked to provide all tehat i am looking for, yes i played with
vinum and got burned so badly i was only going to use hardware raid and
the basis of my comments to andrew. i too have seen teh raid in freebsd
has moved on, so i guess its time for me to move on as well, looks like
software raid might just fit the bills that these multiple drive
machines are begging .. all have several largis (for me) ide style
harddisks, mainly 6-8 gb and i have relic 4 gb scsi harddisks that (as
i read in RAIDFrame for freebsd) i'm hoping that i could build some
sort of basic media platform for each of teh machines instead of
constantly worrying about how to cut up teh operating system software
load over teh available spindle count .. its not fun anymore working
out where teh system was loading up teh spindles and draging down teh
system as a whole .. i'm sure many of teh readers here have
expericenced this before from time to time, atleast.

i've seen lots of posts about RAIDFrame for freebsd upto about 2002 and
perhaos 2003 .. is teh port stabalised and not in need of anymore work,
or has it been canned and or droped ???

from what i have read the raidframe package would be an ideal solution,
i like very much mr long's introduction on teh freebsd (people) page.

this discussion on teh whole had been most enlightening and i hape it
will bear much fruit for the geom project in teh long term .. i've been
gollowing teh gstripe (here in -stable) i need to keep reminding myself
that teh software is not bad, it is being developed and thats why all
teh "bad/bug/things going wrong are being reported here in -stable,
that what -stable is for/all about.

sorry for my post, i'm not very good at comunicationing, its one of teh
parts of mybrain that don't work too good, and that is why i'm
(struggling) on teh invalid pension.

umm i'd also like to take this opportunity to say thank you for al the
support freebsd has given me over teh years, it has been a most
wonderfull experience, the stability and reliability has been a shining
light that i take with me whereever i go, int eh softeware world, and
in general as its produced because people band togehter and care about
what they do and that is what makes freebsd what it is .. not superieor
code and all tehse other things, which i'm sure help, ok just a linny
little bit (grin).

much appreciations, thanks and gratittude.

most kind regards

jonathan
and caamora dot com dot au