Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:52:12 +0200
From:      Thomas Keusch <thomas@visionaire.ping.de>
Subject:   qpopper 2.53 + stale lockfiles

Hi,

I just installed qpopper2.53 on an AMD 386DX40 machine w/ 16mb RAM,
running FreeBSD 3.2R.

After the mail has been fetched from this host and qpopper is done, it
doesn't rm the lockfile:

boxx# l /var/mail
total 8264
-rw-------  1 thomas   mail        0 Jul  8 11:48 .thomas.pop
-rw-------  1 annette  users  868808 Jul  8 10:44 annette
-rw-------  1 thomas   users       0 Jul  8 11:48 thomas

Do other users experience the same problem? Might it be because
it is such a small box (though it isn't loaded much)?

If mail is fetched again, qpopper does not notice the already existing
lock, at least there is nothing in the logs and the fetch works fine.

Is this a FreeBSD specific problem (someone told me FreeBSD, or *BSD, has
some problems with flock())? I had the same version of qpopper running
on Linux (on the same box) for some months, which worked flawlessly.

Any help appreciated.

thomas.