Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:11:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Michael Owens <owensmk@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple Default Gateways using DIVERT

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Michael Owens wrote:

> Thanks. While I am somewhat familiar with IPF, am in the woods with IPFW. I
> did read something on the IPF site today that is new since I used it
> last---the "to" feature, which is supposed to be similar to fastroute. While
> it seems to suggest that this is an equivalent way to do this, I am not sure
> what the effects would be like with NAT, or how it should be done.
>
> The only additional question I have with the method you proposed is can it be
> done with routers on the same subnet (you only have two cards ed0 and de0,
> one for each side, and the outside, de0, has two routers sitting on it) so
> you need a way to say "route to de0:2.2.2.1" for this range and "route to
> de0:2.2.2.2" for that range. Perhaps I am making it harder than it is. But I
> only have two NICs, and the routers sit on 2.2.2.0/27.

	Sure you could.  Consider this:

add 1000 fwd 2.2.2.2 ip from 10.10.10.128/25 to any out recv ed0 xmit de0
add 2000 divert natd ip from any to any via de0

	This does divertion for all of your addresses (probably what you
	want) and just fools with the next hop address of the 1 source
	subnet.  This is assuming that your default gateway is 2.2.2.1.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
 "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"