Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:06:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        itemple@elysium.clare.tased.edu.au (Iain Templeton)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard disk copying

Iain Templeton stands accused of saying:

> Is it possible to make an exact duplicate of a hard disk. I saw something
> here the other day which looked similar to what I'm after, although I
> didn't know it at the time.
>
> What I basically want is to be able to copy one disk, to another
> (obviously), where the disks are on the same SCSI2 controller, and should
> be the same model drive (exact model not known at this time).
>
> This is for backing up to another working drive so that one can be
> replaced if the other one fails (or something like that). The ability to

If the two are _exactly_ the same, or at least close enough, you can do this
with dd on the disk device nodes.  Set your blocksize fairly high (32K or so)
and it should rip along.

> Iain Templeton, Grade 12 student and administrator of Unix boxes/WWW/News at

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[