Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:01:37 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble connecting to sites with ppp.

Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Christopher J. Michaels wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >   I have a machine currently running a new install of 2.2.6-RELEASE and
> > connected to the internet over PPP.  About half of the web sites i try
> > to connect to (including www.freebsd.org) just hang.  In LYNX it shows
> > "HTTP 1.0/OK" and then just hangs.   I can connect to ftp.freebsd.org
> > and www2.freebsd.org without trouble.  I appears to be an http thing.
> >  I used to have 2.2.6 on another machine with the same ppp, several
> > months ago and that worked fine.  Also, I have no trouble connecting if
> > a Win95 machine dials in.
> >  Yes I tried installing 2.2.7-RELEASE (new install, not an upgrade) and
> > that didn't help.
>
> Are you by chance connecting to an Annex box?
>
> Try setting `tcp_extensions="NO"' in /etc/rc.conf and rebooting, then
> trying ppp.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it, but it didn't work.
To answer your question, no I'm not connected to an Annex box.  I'm connected
to a Sun (Ultra I believe) running MorningStar PPP, via a 28.8kbps modem
connection.
Any other ideas, or any other information I can provide that may help?

-Chris
cjm2@earthling.net