Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 2009 07:23:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Failed update

In upgrading 7.1-PRELEASE to -stable, all seemed fine until I rebooted out of single user mode after doing make installworld and mergemaster.

Now I get to devd and it dies.  I've copied down what's on screen and typed it here.

****
[snip]
starting devd.

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
cpu id = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x3030313a
fault code = supervisor write, page not present
[snip]
current process = 355 (devd)

****

What critical step did I miss?  Single user mode seems OK, and I can mount the drives (though right now it'll tell me to fsck, since I just hard crashed).  I have not tried to cycle this thing much, for fear of trashing something further, but I did at least try one reboot.  Same issue.

(and yes, I'll be researching this myself, but I thought I'd get this message out there sooner rather than later...)

Rich Mahlerwein
Mobile: 715-891-7420