Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 21:46:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        User Gp <gp@tower.my.domain>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing from Desktop to Laptop

I'm maintaining the xpost to -mobile if anyone over there is interested.
Otherwise speak up and it'll be discontinued.

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, User Gp wrote:

> I apologize for this post. I know this stuff has been discussed before.
> Somehow, I'm afraid I'm too dense to get it. Apparently I need someone
> to hold my hand through this process.

OK, I think I know where you're going wrong here.

> /etc/hosts
>
> 127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.my.domain
> #
> # Imaginary network. Hopefully soon to be real.
> 10.0.0.2		tower.my.domain tower
> 10.0.0.3		laptop.my.domain laptop
> #
> #

OK, this is important for below.

> /etc/rc.conf

Checks out, no problems.

> netstat -rn

Looks OK.

> ifconfig -a

Ditto.

> I boot with PAO-2.2-whatever. There's no indication of trouble with my
> setting up of slices etc.  I do novice installation and:
>
> 1. Choose "Install over NFS"
> 2. Directory for distribution files = "tower.my.domain:/cdrom".
> 3. Choose PLIP using laplink cable.
> 4. Host = laptop.my.domain
> 5. Domain sets itself to my.domain
> 6. Gateway = 10.0.0.2
> 7. Nameserver I leave blank-- don't know what to put there.
> 8. Ditto for IP address.
> 9. In options to ifconfig I put 10.0.0.2 because instructions say I should put
> the
> remote address there.
> 10. Say OK

Your problems are as follows:

1.  In Step #2 you use a hostname, but in #7 you leave nameserver blank.
Your laptop has no way of knowing who ``tower.my.domain'' is and has no
way of finding out.

Solution: run named on your tower and set up a primary domain for your
10.x.x.x net.  This way the laptop can grab the name for tower.  OR, give
the IP address for the remote host, i.e. `10.0.0.2:/cdrom'.  The named
solution is probably the better way to go.

2.  In step #8 you leave the IP address for the local machine blank.  You
know this -- it's 10.0.0.3, aka laptop.my.domain.  To ifconfig properly
the IP address is _required_.

Solution:  Punch in 10.0.0.3 for the IP address.