Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2008 03:38:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0-PRERELEASE installworld fails

--- Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

> > > This may be an overkill but should do the job:
> > > # rm -r /usr/src /usr/obj
> > > <restore sources>
> > > # cd /usr/src
> > > # make buildworld
> > > # make kernel
> > > # mergemaster -p
> > > # make installworld
> > > # mergemaster -i

I did above but its still the same story, installworld
fails:
>>> Installing everything
cd /usr/src; make -f Makefile.inc1 install
===> share/info (install)
===> lib (install)
===> lib/csu/i386-elf (install)
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
-I/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../common  -I/usr
/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../../libc/include
-Wsystem-headers -Wall -Wno-format-y2k
-W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arit
h -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
-Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunu
sed-parameter -Wchar-subscripts -Winline
-Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls -Wno
-pointer-sign -c /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c
/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c:33:20: error:
stdlib.h: No such file or directory

The only difference what I did compared to your steps:
1. After download sources, rebooted to single-user
mode, adjkerntz -i (as my CMOS is set to local time),
fsck -p, mount -u /, mount -a, swapon -a,
/usr/local/bin/bash and follow your steps until make
kernel (in fact, instead make kernel what I did was:
kernel-toolchain, buildkernel and installkernel)

2. After installkernel, I rebooted to single-user mode
with the new kernel, adjkerntz -i, fsck -p, mount -u
/, mount -a, swapon -a, /usr/local/bin/bash and follow
your steps until make installworld.

Before execute every step, I checked system time with
date, they were all local time.

Have I deviated too much than you specified? or is it
essentially the same? Am I supposed to reboot with the
new kernel after make kernel?

What else I could do to identify the cause?

Regards
Unga

Looking for last minute shopping deals?