Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:24:20 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird Linux / nameserver interaction

[In a somewhat bizarre twist, I'm following up to my own posting.  This is
becuase I previously posted the query to an internal FreeBSD group, and got
one reply, so I have some more information to add.  After this, however, we
hit a wall, so now I'm hoping that the emulation list be able to help.]

In article <Uvl7O9x7x=7K0QUHdpG5BIckDrry@4ax.com>,
Kevin Neal  <saskpn@wnt.sas.com> wrote:
|On 15 Aug 2001 20:18:10 GMT, bts@wnt.sas.com (Brian T. Schellenberger)
|wrote:
|
|>I'm running a local nameserver on FreeBSD so that when I have VPN access
|>up I can get SAS names from the SAS name server but external names from
|>the RoadRunner name server.
|>
|>This works just peachy for serving up names to FreeBSD programs, but
|>when I run Linux Netscape* it can't resolve any names via the name
|>server.  That is, if /etc/resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1, then FreeBSD
|>apps find names just fine, but Linux apps to do not.
|
|Is Linux Netscape managing to get DNS queries out to any network
|interface if resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1?
|
|Can you tcpdump lo0 and find out?

Excellent idea.

No traffic is generated to my local node from Netscape (linux), though
Mozilla (native) does (as expected) generate traffic.

|Or, can you ktrace (or alternate) Linux Netscape to see what it is
|doing when it is supposed to be doing a DNS lookup?

Another very good idea.  Not sure what it means, but a SIGALRM is
generated.  I'm thinking Netscape bug (big surprise there), but maybe
somebody else has an idea:

 19644 navigator-linux- GIO   fd 4 wrote 23 bytes
       "lookup: www.excite.com
       "
 19644 navigator-linux- PSIG  SIGALRM caught handler=0x84f7180 mask=0x0
code=0x0
 19644 navigator-linux- RET   write 23/0x17
 19644 navigator-linux- CALL  mincore(0xbfbfabe4,0)

(With the static /etc/resolv.conf, this of course doesn't get the signal
and all is good.)

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org