Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:30:20 +0800
From:      "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>
To:        "Ken Seggerman" <suleyman@echonyc.com>, "Rob Simmons" <rsimmons@wlcg.com>, "Tim McMillen" <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: netatalk running but nothing in chooser

From a Mac service tech (well part time one giggle)

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM on Power Macintosh, iMac, and iBook Computers

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on your keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 3.

3. Press the Power button, then hold down the Command-Option-P-R key
combination. You must press this key combination before the gray screen
appears.

4. Hold the keys down until the Macintosh restarts itself twice.

5. Release the keys after the Macintosh restarts twice.

6. The parameter RAM and the non-volatile RAM in your computer is reset to
the default values. The clock setting are not changed.

Resetting PRAM on PowerBook computers

Resetting, or zapping, the Parameter RAM (PRAM) when the computer is shut
down also resets the power manager.

For a description of how to reset the power manager and PRAM in your
PowerBook, refer to the following Knowledge Base article:

Article 14449: ' PowerBook: Resetting Power Manager.'

Resetting PRAM on Non-PCI Power Macintosh Computers

System 6.x
1. While opening up the Control Panel, hold down the Command, Option and
Shift keys.

2. An alert appears asking if you want to clear parameter RAM; click Yes. A
few seconds later, the Control Panel opens.

3. Close the Control Panel.

4. Restart your computer.

5. Parameter RAM is reset, however the clock is not reset. Restarting is
necessary to complete this operation. After restarting your computer, you
can reset your options using the control panel.

System 7.x and later

Important: These steps do not apply to the PowerBook 5300, PowerBook 190,
PowerBook 1400, or PCI-based Power Macintosh computers. See sections below
for applicable steps for these computers.
1. Locate the following keys on your keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 2.

2. Restart your Macintosh and hold down the Command-Option-P-R key
combination. You must press this key combination before the Welcome to
Macintosh screen appears.

3. Hold the keys down until the Macintosh restarts itself twice.

4. Release the keys after the Macintosh restarts twice.

5. The parameter RAM in your Macintosh is reset to the default values. The
clock setting are not changed.

Contents of PRAM

Contents of Parameter RAM are as follows. Some Macintosh computers may not
have all the settings described below.

Status of AppleTalk
Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
Alarm clock setting
Application font
Serial printer location
Autokey rate