Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 22:31:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ijppp -auto configuration

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, John Utz wrote:

> Hi gang;
>
> 	I used ijppp to install freebsd-2.1. This marks the first time
> that i have been able to install freebsd sans floppies! WORKED
> EXCELLENT!! YOW!

Congrats.

> 	Once i try to automate this, such that i have a configuration file with
> an entry called uw: and try to use "ppp uw" and "dial", i no longer have
> net access. weird. I get "dial OK!" and "login OK!" but never anything
> about "using Packet mode" or the "~" u get when u type PPP at the remote
> command line in "term" mode.

Do you have a ppp.linkup?  It won't show that if you do.

> 	The server i am logging into has dynamic addressing and the
> possiblity of using several ip's for both the server and my end. I used
> the techniques listed in the man page to specify a requested server and
> user ip, and when i type "show ipcp" i get the requested ip's. But none
> of my net apps ( telnet, etc ) run. Since i get a hostname lookup failure
> and i have the dns in my resolv.conf, i assume i have no net.

Sounds like a routing problem; check netstat -rn and make sure a default
route exists to the IP address assigned to you by the remote.  Use "route
add default <youraddr>" and delete out any other routes that may be
clogging the works up.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant