Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:56:24 -1000
From:      Robert Marella <rmarella@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CD/DVD writer no longer works

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 15:34:01 -0600
Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu> wrote:

> The result of this command doesn't change if there's a known good CD
> in the drive.  And are you saying that the *device* appears to be
> bad?  Or the *driver* appears to be bad?  Is there a way to confirm
> this (utility?  test process?)

FWIW, I had similar problems with a DVD burner a couple of weeks ago. I
went ahead and replaced it and the troubles went away. You could try
and see if you could boot a live file system with it. Or, boot from
another optical drive (if you have one) on the system with something
like freesbie/ubuntu and see if it works with the live file system.

HTH
Robert